© 2019 Big Niche Games LLC Designed by Michael Taylor 

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive

The Stars Our Destination Developer Log #7 UI Navigation & Strategy Gameplay

June 30, 2019

[Click here for the video version]

 

Hello everyone and welcome to this weeks game developer log on The Stars Our Destination, a turn-based strategy flight game. You know when life gets in the way. This was one of those weeks. Everything I’m listing I did on Friday. Let’s get into it.

 

STRATEGY SCREEN

 

First thing I needed to get implemented was making the enemy ships customizable enough for me to spawn however many enemies I would want in any given encounter. Meaning I was getting the 2D strategy portion and the 3D flight portion have to talk to each other. Tricky all things considered, Especially since strategy is a very UI heavy genre depending on how cluttered the UI could be (get footage from other games).

 

The way the system is currently set up is that each strategy enemy has a MissionDecider.cs. When any of the player ships collide with the enemy it will give the MissionManager.cs the mission details. One of which is the number of enemies.

 

I basically made spawn point objects with a couple of spawn scripts depending on if I want to spawn enemies for items later down the line (just in case, based on feedback). That will call the MissionManager.cs to spawn or not spawn depending on count. It’s also in the mission details when selecting the enemy, which is always nice.

 

UI OPTIONS

 

Last week I just made the NPC animations, now I made the Hub dialog. When hitting the interact button it’ll bring up the dialog box with a choice box. In this case it’s going into either the practice room or the strategy screen to start the mission. I made functions for the future dialog system, but it’s still in it’s very, VERY early stages. Going into a lot of uncharted territory with this project, which is fine.

 

MUSIC

 

Heard the feedback loud and clear. This week I just worked on music for the Strategy Screen. I usually like to make faster, pulse pounding, shredtastic kind of music, something you’d see in fight themes, chase scenes. So, making music for a mode where it requires thinking and planning your move, that was a new one for me. 

 

Had to refrain of octave leaps, else it’ll become too dissonant and mess with player concentration. Additionally the notes can’t be too short, and the BPM can’t be too high else it’ll make the player divide concentration.

With advice from a friend of mine (thank you by the way if you’re reading this). I eventually came up with a short 25 second loopable track (might be longer depending on how long the player spends in the screen depending on playtesting) with longer notes and constrained to a certain intervals.

 

This time, instead of dumping the entire thing into a VST, I made the main part, and the bass part separate midi files and adjusted accordingly. As usual, there’s link below and feel free give me feedback on it.

 

[Track Link]

 

NEXT TIME 

 

I’m not happy with the amount I did or didn’t finish this week. I’m getting close to the polish phase. Gotta get that enemy ai tweaked. That’ll be it for this week, subscribe or feel free to join the discord server if you like what I’m doing, let me know if you have any questions or feedback take care of yourselves and have a good week.

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload